• History20170519 19643 11ex93a 960x435

The History of
The Lyric Band

The Lyric Band of Hanover, PA Inc. was organized in 1932 and held its first meeting and rehearsal, November 15 1932, with 16 musicians in attendance. The band’s first headquarters was in the Parkville Fire Co. hall.

In 1933, headquarters were moved to the former Melhorn building, now the site of the present Wachovia bank. In May of 1938, the band purchased its present headquarters, the former YMCA building at 20 York Street.

On April 19, 1939, the band was incorporated by the Courts of York County as a non-profit organization to be “A medium of instruction for the purpose of bettering all who are connected with it, both individually and collectively; and, further to promote a musically minded spirit in the community”.

After the Lyric Band purchased the old YMCA building on York Street, they opened a very successful social club.  They held weekly music events, served meals and brought in guest artists to perform.   It was one of the biggest nightspots in Hanover in the 1940’s and 1950’s.   The building also served as the office of the American Federation of Musicians Union until the 1980’s.

In the early years of the band, concerts were played at the Eichelberger High School, the Park Theater (formerly the Hanover Opera House) and the State Theatre of Frederick Street.   From 1934 until 1964, the band presented concerts on radio during the winter months over radio stations WORK-AM and WHVR-AM.   Since 1969, Sunday evening concerts have been presented every summer at the Codorus State Park – Lake Marburg.   The band participates in all the of the community Memorial Day ceremonies and has also performed in: Tower City, PA; Bryn Mawr, PA; New Holland, PA; Washington, DC and Stanton, West Virginia.